A group of enthusiastic locals, not all avocado orchardists, got together in 2018 to talk about Katikati claiming to be the Avocado Capital of NZ.
Signs went up on the side of the road, conversations started with the NZ Avocado Industry and within the local community.
Currently 60 percent of New Zealands avocado production comes from the Bay of Plenty region.
Katikati Open Air Art, the Katikati Community Board, Katikati Rotary and Western Bay of Plenty District Council are in support of this project which effectively adds another brand to Katikati of being the Avocado Capital of New Zealand.
Activities so far:
- Avocado sculpture installed outside the front of the Arts Junction.
- Avocado merchandise available at the Visitor Information centre stating Katikati Avocado Capital of NZ.
- Smashed Avocado Café competition
- Avocado Food and Wine Festival
- Avocado trampoline in the new playground.
- Community piano painted in avocado theme.
- Production of a brochure about the benefits of avocados and some local history.
Concepts in development:
- Giant (6m) avocado installation
- Avocado seat concept
Opportunities to come:
- Branding Katikati that promotes art and avocados
- Avocado orchard tours
- More local business using avocado, e.g on the menus, merchandise, colours, theming.
This has been done for economic development, tourism and purely fun. Plus the avocado is a superfruit and we are a supertown.